The soundtrack to my pre-teen days is the two-record album Grease, perhaps coupled with the theme to Charlie’s Angels. “Once upon a time, there were three little girls who went to the police academy …”
My friends and I bowl on a team we name “Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Bowlers.” We are not fans of the Beatles’ classic album but of the Bee Gees remake.
John Mellencamp’s “Warmer Place to Sleep” had been playing on a boom box right before I have my first kiss.
I come out after praying using the words to the AA Serenity Prayer and the lyrics to the Prince song “Controversy.” Ok, so most people know those lyrics as the Lord’s Prayer, but I was a heathen back then. And the Purple Man was about as close to religious as I got.
I’ve gone through the book and made note of all of the quoted song lyrics and music references. (I’ve even included the Charlie’s Angels theme song and “Hopelessly Devoted to You,” which is how this baby butch felt about Olivia in her skintight black leather pants and red high heels. Have mercy.)
So, yeah, the soundtrack to my book. You can listen to it here via Spotify.
If it puts you in the mood, you can still pre-order a signed copy of Leaving Normal: Adventures in Gender. Follow the instructions here.
You can pre-order a copy from my publisher here.
Or, if you’re the patient type, you can pick up a copy on Friday when the book goes live on Amazon.
* * *
How about you? What songs would be included on the soundtrack to your life?
* * *
Leaving Normal: Adventures in Gender Soundtrack
1. Superman by R.E.M.
2. Black Leather by Joan Jett
3. Controversy by Prince
4. Munsters – Theme Song
5. Lola by The Kinks
6. Like the Way I Do by Melissa Etheridge
7. Charlie’s Angels – Theme Song
8. More Than a Woman – Bee Gees
9. Hopelessly Devoted to You — Olivia Newton-John
10. Look at Me I’m Sandra Dee – Stockard Channing
11. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Theme by They Might Be Giants
12. Don’t Give Up on Us by David Soul
13. Warmer Place to Sleep by John Mellencamp
14. Laverne and Shirley Theme Song
15. A Little Bit Country-A Little Bit Rock ‘N Roll by Donny & Marie
16. Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash
17. Only the Good Die Young by Billy Joel
18. Paradise City by Guns N’ Roses
19. American Pie by Don McLean
20. Seventeen by Winger
21. Talk Dirty to Me by Winger
22. Runaway by Bon Jovi