Your favorite butch blogger has been a bit down these past few weeks. My last post ended on a high — me and W reconnecting on a weekend away — that I haven’t been able to recapture. Maybe that’s part of the problem. When the top of your head scrapes the bottom of the clouds for a few days, it’s a short, hard fall back to reality.
Plus, this weather isn’t helping things. Has it ever been so damn cold in March? And one of our cats died recently, and that’s been weighing heavy on my heart. I’ve been struggling with my writing. It took me weeks to write the shortest chapter of my work in progress. Did I mention that my son is 14 and acting like a 14-year-old?
To cheer myself up, I thought I’d make a list of a few of my favorite things these days:
* My new Timex Weekender watch with the changeable straps. So cool and retro looking. I treated myself to one for my birthday. This butch likes to be fresh and color coordinated. What do you think Dapper Butch?
* The French film, Blue Is the Warmest Color. Because when else can you watch a lesbian movie with lots of sex and feel so cultured because it had subtitles?
* Apple TV. I don’t really know how to use it, but I know that it will allow us to watch Orange Is the New Black.
* Coca-Cola. Everything is better with Coke.
* Is anyone else obsessed with Girls? HBO’s Girls. Not those girls, you guys. Ok, those girls, too.
* Lena Dunham, I want to be your best friend.
* Ivan Coyote, you inspire me. I want to be you when I grow up.
* I just discovered Lorrie Moore, a funny, brilliant writer. I want to read everything she’s ever written, including Bark, her new collection of short stories.
* The brand new flannel sheets on the bed I share with W. Bonus: They were $7.49 on clearance at Target.
* My writers’ group. Weird that a motley group of off-kilter writers keeps me grounded.
* W. Not anything she says or does. But because she’s there, whether I’m in a good mood or bad, happy or sad.
* * *
What about you? What makes you smile these days?