I’m a big fan of Inside the Actors Studio. It’s something that I discovered recently, so I’ve only seen episodes that have aired in the past few years.
As a movie buff, I like learning the behind-the-scenes stories from big-time actors in iconic roles like Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby and Brad Pitt in Thelma and Louise.
Plus, I like hearing about what people are thinking when they are engaged in the creative process. It’s like finishing a really great book and finding a final chapter in which the author explains the how and why of his writing process for that particular work. Bonus. Stephen King has been known to do this.
I also like trying to connect with the artist as a person and finding a link within myself to the art. It’s the if-she-can-do-it-so-can-I frame of mind that encourages me to push forward with my own work.
Inside the Actors Studio just celebrated its 250th episode with a two-hour retrospective special. If you’re familiar with the show, you know that host James Lipton asks each guest the same 10 questions at the conclusion of every interview.
I thought I’d tip my hat to the show by taking a shot at those 10 questions:
1. What is your favorite word? juxtaposition
2. What is your least favorite word? hate
3. What turns you on? a woman in tall black leather boots
4. What turns you off? ignorance
5. What sound do you love? heavy rain when I am safe inside my house
6. What sound do you hate? yelling
7. What is your favorite curse word? god dammit
8. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt? English professor
9. What profession would you not like to do? grade school teacher
10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? You tried really hard.
* * *
How about you? Share some of your answers here.